Thursday, July 15, 2010

Jesus came up from the ground so dirty

It is hard to write a blog for this week, and I think it is because this week has been so hard. It is difficult to write out what has been going on with all of us because it seems subtle and humongous at the same time.

We headed back to Wadupe last Friday. It was dark and rainy and the roads were terrible. We took bodas to the bus station (which is not a bus station, just a place off the side of the road where you can catch a ride out of town) and my boda got there before everyone else. The men there were being obnoxious and it was probably the most frightened I have been here in Sudan. There was no need to be, Billy, Allie and Ena got there a minute later and I could see them the whole time, but for me it set the mood for the rest of the week. While waiting for a ride, a woman approached Ena and started talking to her rapidly in Kakwa. Once or twice she tried to grab her arm and pull her away from us. We think the woman thought we were kidnapping her, but it really upset Ena and she didn't smile again until we got to Wadupe.

In the village, the rain had washed away almost all of the huge boards that make up the bridge. This halted progress on the school. It has rained almost the entire week. At night we all started having nightmares, Allie's being the worst. In the middle of one night, a drunk man came by our house, and even though he was harmless it was still scary. Physically it is very hard for me to do the labor they do here, which this week made me irritated and frustrated. The women carry jerry cans full of water on their heads from the bore hole (well) every single day. Allie and I had to start carrying them for the workers who were fixing up the compound, and it was so exhausting, even though we are the closest compound to the bore hole. I found myself getting irritated at small things, especially my listlessness. We all felt very... oppressed.

 But what has been incredible is how God has worked in the midst of it all. It's not like He suddenly took away our nightmares, cured our sore muscles, stopped the rain or gave us super human strength to get the work done. It's like in the midst of the oppression and the hard work He has given us little tastes of heaven that remind us why we are here.

On Saturday, Allie and I had to walk to the market (a 3 mile walk) to pick up supplies for the group. On the way we ran into Monday, who had us stop at her compound and rest before we headed out. She sat us in the shade, and before we knew what she was doing, she had taken a scrubbie, soap, and a basin of her precious water and had started washing our very dirty feet. In that moment, beautiful orphan Monday who never stops smiling was being Jesus to me. There is no greater love than this.

I can not count how many times Allie and I carried our jerry cans to the bore hole and walked back empty handed because the school children or one of the girls have carried them for us. One morning we went to wash our clothes and ran into Monday. She sat with us for an hour and helped us wash our dirty underwear. Billy can't pick up a hoe to work in the garden without several of the village men coming to help him, even though they have already worked many hours in their own. The sunsets and sunrises are incredible. Sometimes they are big and loud with so many different colors, and sometimes they are just quiet and peaceful.

So even though I am mosquito bitten and sometimes too hot and sometimes too cold, I am constantly reminded of the God who is very present in the dirt and sweat and smiles of Southern Sudan. We have one week left and I know it will be very hard to say goodbye. Please be praying for peace in Sudan. The nightmares have pretty much stopped, but pray that we would sleep well through the nights. I am missing you all very much.

Abby

4 comments:

  1. i am so moved by your writing, abby. thanks for inviting us on your journey. and what a beautiful representation of jesus monday is.
    rachel gardner

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and you too, for that matter...

    ReplyDelete
  3. all will be all. and all will be well. and all manner of things will be well.

    St. Julian of Norwhich

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I am a bit worried but it seems that with all that you have in Christ I can do no more. So I pray .. I am on my way to the country I came here for. Blessings on you source of joy!

    ReplyDelete